Why Kirkland House is truly the best house
There are 12 upperclassmen houses. Most people love their house and will try to tell you that their house is the best one on campus. However, the only house that truly deserves the title “Best House” is Kirkland House, here’s why:
- Kirkland House is the smallest House on campus. This allows the house to build a really close knit community. You get to know all your tutors, house staff, and fellow students really well.
Kirkland has the best holiday season tradition of doing a house-wide Secret Swap gift exchange. You can choose what level of intensity to participate at and name secret helpers who communicate with your gifter. Although you do not have to spend money on buying gifts (many people organize activities for their person) you can be reimbursed by the house for the money you spend on buying gifts or doing activities for others.
- Kirkland has 8 dogs! 8 of them! The puppies in Kirkland House are supper fun to play with and honestly the best therapy/stress relief a student could as for. If you would like to meet the Kirkland House Dogs, check out this Crimson Article written by my friend and fellow Kirklander: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/1/30/canines-of-kirkland/
Kirkland House also has a wonderful outing program. Because Kirkland is so small, it is able to set aside funds to pay for group outings to events both on and off campus. For example, I have gone with Kirkland to:
- See the Boston Ballet perform the Nutcracker
See Black Panther on opening night
- See my fellow Kirklanders perform in The Hasty Pudding Theatricals performance of Intermission Impossible
- The even provided the funds for my and my friends to go see Waitress on tour in the Boston Opera House.
And these are only the trips that I have been on, there have been more this year as well
- My roommate went apple picking with Kirkland House
- My other friends went on a Dim Sum outing
- And there have been many more - but I can’t remember them all
These are just a few of the reasons why I love living in Kirkland, and why I think Kirkland is THE best house on campus!
About the author
Hi, my name is Rhea and I’m a junior here at Harvard College. I am studying Archaeology and Integrative Biology. I was originally born and raised in Sharon, Massachusetts, however, I now live in... View full profile