Radcliffe College was founded in 1879 “to furnish instruction and the opportunities of collegiate life to women and to promote their higher education.” From 1879 to 1943, Harvard professors repeated to Radcliffe students the lectures they gave at Harvard.
In 1946, the majority of Harvard courses were made coeducational.
Integration quickened in the 1960s. Harvard degrees were awarded to Radcliffe students for the first time in 1963, and in the same year women were admitted to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. In 1967, the doors of Lamont Library were opened to women.
President Derek Bok took the most dramatic initial steps in integration. In 1975, the two Colleges combined admissions offices, and an equal access admissions policy was adopted.
In 1977, Harvard assumed all responsibility for undergraduate education of women. Radcliffe then devoted increasing attention to cultivation and development of research and postgraduate programs.
On September 14, 1999, the governing bodies of Harvard and Radcliffe completed the merger of the two institutions. Harvard College then created the Ann Radcliffe Trust, “a set of programs for Harvard undergraduates that seeks to raise the awareness of women and women’s issues at Harvard.”
In fall 2006, the Harvard College Women’s Center opened in Harvard Yard. The Center absorbed the Ann Radcliffe Trust and continues outreach work on behalf of undergraduate women. The merger also established the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, which offers non-degree instruction and executive education programs.