Take the next step in your academic journey.
We seek promising students who will contribute to the Harvard community during their college years, and to society throughout their lives.
While academic accomplishment is important, the Admissions Committee considers many other factors—strong personal qualities, special talents or excellences of all kinds, perspectives formed by unusual personal circumstances, and the ability to take advantage of available resources and opportunities.
First-Year Application Requirements
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Harvard College Questions for the Common Application or Coalition Application Harvard supplement
- $75 fee (or request a fee waiver)
- SAT or ACT (with or without writing)* optional for 2021-2022 applicants
- Optional: AP or other examination results
- School Report and high school transcript
- Teacher Report (2)
- Midyear School Report (after your first semester grades)
- Final School Report (for admitted students only)
You may apply to Harvard under either our Restrictive Early Action or our Regular Decision program, both of which allow you to compare admission and financial aid offers from other institutions and to wait until May 1 to make a final college choice.
- Restrictive Early Action candidates apply by November 1 and receive notification by mid-December.
- Regular Decision candidates apply by January 1 and receive notification by April 6.
First-year Timeline Questions
Joint Ivy League Admissions Notification
The joint notification date for the Ivy League this year will be Tuesday, April 6 at 7 PM Eastern time. Our candidate response deadline will be extended to Monday, May 3. Students and families can be assured that, as always, we will consider any requests for additional extensions that may be necessitated by financial aid determinations. The Ivy moratorium will begin on Sunday, April 4 at 7 PM and conclude Wednesday, April 7 at 8 AM, the day following the notification date.
You can afford Harvard
In just a few minutes, you can get a personalized estimate of your Harvard scholarship with our Net Price Calculator.
Restrictive Early Action
Applying to Harvard under the Restrictive Early Action program empowers you to make a college choice early. Early applicants apply by November 1 and hear from us by mid-December.
If your record and accomplishments have been consistently strong over time, Restrictive Early Action may be an attractive choice. You don’t have to commit to coming to Harvard, but you will learn earlier if it is an option for you.
Consider if Restrictive Early Action is Right for You
Mailing Your Application
Applications that are received in the mail will be treated equally by the Admissions Committee. However, applications submitted online are processed faster and allow your school officials to submit their part of your application online as well. Please choose one option only: either apply online or send an application through the mail.
Learn More About Harvard
Join our email list to download our brochure and stay in touch.