Main content
Main content

Courses Eligible for Transfer Credit

Harvard will honor comparable coursework you have done prior to your transfer admission, while also giving you time to take advantage of Harvard’s course offerings and delve deeply into your concentration.

You will be allowed to transfer in a maximum of 16 semester-long courses—the equivalent of two full years of academic work—providing you the opportunity to take the remaining half of the courses required for your A.B. or S.B. degree at Harvard.

Harvard College’s Registrar’s office grants credit for work done at another college or university to each admitted transfer student on an individual basis after careful evaluation. While Harvard does not audit transcripts prior to application to determine eligibility, the descriptions below should be helpful in determining which of your courses will likely transfer. Our office is unable to make recommendations in regards to coursework at your current institution. 

Eligible for credit

You are likely to receive credit for courses taken in a full-time, daytime program of study at an accredited degree-granting institution, provided that you:

  • Completed at least one full academic year of undergraduate study at one college, but not more than two full academic years of study
  • Took courses comparable to those offered in Harvard’s liberal arts curriculum.
  • Earned grades of “C” (or the equivalent) or better

Not eligible for credit

Unfortunately, we are unable to grant credit for certain accomplishments. Typically you will not receive Harvard credits for:

  • Online or distance education courses
  • Night or extension courses, or courses taken on a part-time basis or for less than a full academic year
  • Technical or vocational courses such as accounting, marketing, journalism, law, agriculture, nursing, business, communications or courses taken in military service
  • Dual-enrollment courses counted for credit toward a high school diploma
  • Work done prior to admission in an isolated term, semester or quarter at another college, unless the college from which you are transferring has granted credit for that work
  • Credit gained by accelerating in an academic year at another college
  • College Level Placement Exam (CLEP), Advanced Placement Exam (AP/IB) results, or any credit earned by examination, even when credited to your degree by the college or university from which you wish to transfer
  • Summer school courses, except for those at your current college/university or courses at Harvard Summer School

If you are interested in transferring to Harvard, see our application information for transfer students.

Facts About Financial Aid


Amount that parents making less than $65,000 are expected to contribute.

Ninety percent of American families would pay the same or less to send their children to Harvard as they would a state school.


John Harvard Statue in front of University Hall

Stroll through Harvard Yard, ask Admissions staff all your questions, and feel the warmth of the Harvard community. See tour dates and times.


Get step-by-step tips for completing your application.